Images from the Warren O’Brien photography collection, showing construction of the connector building c. 1938.
Our transformation has begun! The Museum entered into an exciting partnership with Historic Prairivelle Ltd. and Legacy Architecture, Inc. to restore, preserve, and adaptively reuse the historic courthouse complex we call home.
As a nationally designated historic site, the Courthouse Complex is eligible for tax incentive funds through the Historic Tax Credit Program, administered by the Wisconsin State Historic Preservation Office and the Department of the Interior. This funding helps organizations like ours throughout the state to make the necessary improvements to important historic structures, while safeguarding their historic integrity for generations to come.
With more than 80 hours put in weekly by volunteers and interns, the Historical Society has worked to safely store our artifact collection. Meanwhile our Education team is on the move, visiting schools, libraries, clubs, senior living centers, and other organizations across the region.
Work has begun: with abatement starting the second week of July 2017. Check back for more updates, or follow us on Facebook where we’re posting pictures of progress as it happens!
Construction to Launch, Waukesha Now. May 17, 2017