Lunch and Learn Program Series
Every 2nd Wednesday of the month, visit the museum for lunch and a new presentation with themes from WWII to music to photography and more! Each program lasts from 11:30am-1pm. Fee: $10 per Member and $12 per Non-Member, includes lunch and museum admission. Registration is required by the Friday before each program date. To register, call the Education Department at (262) 521-2859, ext 224 or email at email@example.com.
- December 10, “German Holiday Traditions” – Enjoy lunch, then a presentation by the Elmbrook Historical Society on the holiday traditions from Germany in the past and of the German immigrants settling in this area in the 1800s.
- January 14, “Growing Girls of Courage, Confidence and Character for Over 100 Years” – Enjoy lunch, then a presentation from the Girl Scouts of Wisconsin Southeast on how Girl Scouts has been building girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place in Waukesha County and throughout southeast Wisconsin since the early 1900’s. From homecare badges in the 1920’s to today’s technology and STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math)-based programs, Girl Scouts has evolved to capture what interests girls and prepares them for their tomorrow.
- February 11, “Historic Breweries and Taverns in Waukesha County” – Enjoy lunch, then a presentation by the museum staff on taverns and breweries in the 1800s and 1900s in Waukesha County, including rare images and artifacts in the museum’s collections.
- March 11, “Easter Traditions” – Enjoy lunch, then a presentation by Waukesha Floral and Greenhouse on Easter traditions. Enjoy demonstrations on creating holiday centerpieces, the history and care of lilies, spring planting, and much more!
- April 15, “Amish Traditions” – Enjoy lunch, then a presentation by Richard Dawly on Amish traditions in Wisconsin and throughout the US, including farming, clothing, quilt making, food, and much more!
- May 13, TBA
Families with children 3-5 years old can join us for Discovery Club once a month, with a new theme and activities each time! Each program is led by the museum’s Education Department, and includes games, storytelling, I-Spy, music, and crafts. Programs run from 10-11am. Fee: $4 per child, $3 per non-member adult, museum member adults are free; fee includes museum admission to all exhibits including the new Les Paul exhibit. Registration required by the Tuesday before each program date, call the Education Department at (262) 521-2859, ext 224 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All programs are 10-11am
- December 18, “Emperor’s New Clothes” – The emperor wanted fun and fancy clothing, and so do we! Children will explore clothing from a long time ago, play dress up, and make some fancy and even some crazy clothing and accessories to take home.
- January 15, “Fairy Tale Adventure” – Saddle up your horse and join us for a journey to fairy tale village! Participants will hear stories that will inspire games like the prince/princess and the pea pillow challenge, and crafts like magical mirrors.
- February 19, Rockin’ Rhymes” – Let’s shake up traditional nursery rhymes to create some silly activities! Included will be the nursery rhyme Olympics, Humpty Dumpty egg challenge, and a special craft project.
- March 19, “Neverland Adventure” – Get sprinkled with pixie dust for your flight to Neverland! We will make a drum like Tiger Lily, float pirate ships like Captain Hook, and make pixie wands like Tinkerbell.
- April 16, ” Mad Scientist” – Join us for an exploration into the world of science! We will be performing wacky experiments, including slimy worms, magical rainbows, bubbly balloons, and much more!
- May 21, “Fairy Houses” – First we will listen to the book Fairy Houses, then families will create their own Fairy House using natural materials like branches, flowers, shells, and stones. Take your house home and see if a fairy moves in during the night!
Kids’ Night Out!
Kids rule the museum after hours! Children 5-10 years old will enjoy a pizza dinner, then art activities, games, experiments, and much, much more! Parents can use this time to have a fun time themselves by going out to dinner, shopping, or running a few errands. Kids’ Night Out is from 5:30-8pm. Cost is $20 per child per evening, pizza dinner is included. To register or for additional information please call the education department at 262-521-2859, ext. 246 or email at email@example.com.
December 13, “Across the Universe”: Space is a vast and amazing place and we humans are just beginning to unlock its secrets. Take a trip to the cosmos as we study the comets, planets, nebula and other mysterious phenomena that create the fabric of the universe. Registration deadline is Tuesday December 9th.
- January 31 – Theme to be announced soon
- February 21 – Theme to be announced soon
- March 21 – Theme to be announced soon
- April 18 – Theme to be announced soon
Les Paul’s Guitar Grab!
6-6:50pm Children 12 and under; 7-7:50pm Children and Adults over 12 years old
Have you always dreamed of learning to play the guitar? Then this is the program you have been waiting for, so come to the museum and grab a guitar! In honor of Les Paul’s legacy, the Waukesha County Museum and White House of Music have teamed up to provide basic guitar workshops for adults and children of all ages. Participants will use a provided guitar to learn basic cords from a certified instructor, and you will even play a song by the end of the session! Fee is $10 per person per session; includes instructor led session, use of a guitar during the program, and a goodie bag with coupons and an admission ticket to the museum to see the Les Paul exhibit during regular museum hours. Also included in the registration fee will be a free guitar book from Hal Leonard Corporation! Registration is required by the Saturday before each program date. Register for one of the workshops, or multiple to build your guitar skills throughout the year. Please call the museum’s Education Department at 262-521-2859, ext. 224 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Program will be held at the Waukesha County Museum.
Guitars generously donated by
Rockin’ Through the Ages Family Event!
Saturday, December 27 and Tuesday, December 30; 10am – 3pm
Join us at the Waukesha County Museum on December 27th or 30th for a musical tour through time! This family event will celebrate different styles of music including classical, jazz, rock and roll, and disco, and the culture (fashion, sports, transportation, movies, famous people, etc) that accompanied them. There will be tons of games, experiments, activities, and crafts that the whole family can enjoy! Families can try on clothing from each time period for amazing photos, play real instruments including Les Paul electric guitars, go on a scavenger hunt for a prize, and much, much more! Stop by anytime between 10 am and 3 pm to participate in all four themed activity areas, plus see the rest of the museum’s exhibits! These activities are included with museum admission and no registration is required. For additional information, email email@example.com.
Happy Birthday/Unbirthday Party at the Waukesha County Museum
Saturday, January 17; 10am – 3pm
Celebrate JanBoree’s birthday and everyone else’s unbirthday with a unique party at the museum! At 10:30am, 11:30am, 1pm and 2pm, see Bubble Wonders with Geoff Akins Hannah, where families will be spellbound with fog-filled volcano bubbles, dancing bubbles, bubble caterpillars, and even kids in bubbles! This show is perfect for children of all ages and lasts approximately 30 minutes. Then join in our unbirthday party games with flamingo croquet, tea cup balance, white roses obstacle course, I’m late rabbit hop, and much more! Also, create a mad hatter hat and a playing card bowtie to take home. Plus see all the museum’s exhibits! Admission and all activities are FREE and no registration is required.